What better way to kick off the week by announcing our latest Sony Smartphone, Xperia sola – if you’re a sucker for groundbreaking tech like me, I think this might just get you a little excited…
Now before I get to the spec, let me just tell you about my favourite feature. This smartphone is magical, and no I don’t mean ‘rabbit-out-of the hat’, ‘cards across the table’ like frolics – it includes the amazing “floating touch”, allowing you to magically search and navigate the web.
Making its smartphone debut exclusively on Xperia Sola, floating touch technology lets you browse the web without actually touching the screen! All you have to do is hover your finger above the screen, as if a moving cursor. Once positioned over the intended link or selection, it becomes highlighted and all you have to do is tap to select!
We’ll be evolving this technology and functionality over the coming months, so I’ll be bringing you more on that as it happens and we will look at it in a little more depth in a separate post!
Xperia sola is also NFC enabled, and will ship with two Xperia SmartTags in the box – these will be handily configured for the living room and bedroom, but can be customized to activate up to 10 different commands.
As you’d expect from any Sony Smartphone, Xperia sola gives you access to a world of entertainment experiences anywhere, anytime through its 3.7″ Reality Display powered by Mobile Bravia Engine, all running on a powerful 1GHz dual-core processor. You’ll be able to capture images with the 5MP fast capture camera, going from sleep to snap in just over a second, with the single press of a key.
It also comes with Music Unlimited and Movies Unlimited pre-installed, meaning you can enjoy the latest Hollywood blockbusters and millions of tunes, with its xLoud and 3D surround sound technology!
So, check out the other key features:
- Launching globally quarter 2, and available in either black, white or red
- Floating touch navigation for an effortless web browsing experience
- NFC enabled and Xperia SmartTags in the box to enable quick app loading and easy content sharing
- 3.7” Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine, with scratch-resistant glass gives razor sharp clarity
- Single-swipe connectivity via DNLA, syncing content across TV, smartphone and tablet
- xLOUD and 3D surround sound audio technology for crisp and loud listening
- Direct access to Sony Entertainment Network with pre-installed Video and Music Unlimited apps
- Powered by a 1GHz Dual Core Processor for super fast browsing
- Launches on Google Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread), upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) in summer 2012
Don’t forget to keep checking the blog, as we’ll be getting hands-on (well, maybe not so literally) with floating touch over the next few weeks – if there’s any questions you’d like us to put to the guys about this tech, or Xperia sola, just drop them in the comments below 🙂