- Substance control
- Carbon footprint
- Energy efficiency
- Supply chain
- Social support
- Health and safety
Responsible product take-back and recycling is very important to us – we take responsibility for our own products by offering our own take-back solutions as well as working with the rest of the electronics industry to support recycling solutions. By providing locations and information about recycling, we want to make it easy for everyone to make good choices which will benefit the environment. For information about your closest collection point, please visit our How to Recycle-page
Our products are collected and recycled by numerous systems throughout the world.
Products collected by us are handled by our recycling partners in a process co-designed by Sony Mobile to meet or exceed today’s environmental practices and expectations. To protect the environment and ensure fair working conditions for all recycling staff, we check to ensure that our recycling partners work according to industry, national and our own high standards. Likewise, we finance and support industry-organized and privately run Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) and battery recycling compliance systems.
Our own recycling process is designed to minimize the environmental impact in 3 steps.
- 1. Re-Use Components and Parts: The first step is to try to re-use as much of the product as possible. This means that the lifetime of components and parts is extended by re-using them in new products. Not only does this save resources but it is also sparing the world of the emissions that come from production.
- 2. Re-Use Materials: The second step is to take what is left from step 1 and try to recover as much of the materials as possible so they can be re-used in the production of new products.
- 3. Re-Use Energy: When we have recovered as much as we possibly can from the product either as parts, components or materials, our last step is to re-use the energy of what is left. The energy that comes from the incineration process is used for a number of purposes, including district heating.
Our Environmental Warranty
We guarantee that all phones returned to our collection points will be recycled in a responsible and environmentally sound way:
- The vast majority of the material from recycling is used again as recovered parts, secondary raw material or energy.
- Remaining materials will be disposed of in an environmentally conscious manner in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Landfill waste from our recycling process is kept to a minimum