- Sony Ericsson brings together the very best of communication and entertainment in its Xperia™ collection
- The Xperia™ X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro will all receive software upgrades from Q3 onwards in selected markets. Additional features to be added to the X10 in Q4.
- The Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X8 extends the range of the most entertaining smartphones
Singapore – – Xperia™ brings consumers the best communication and entertainment experiences, delivered in a collection of smartphones to give consumers choice in size and style.
The Xperia™ X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro smartphones will all receive software upgrades during their lifecycle to improve performance and add new communication and entertainment experiences. From Q3 2010 onwards, the Xperia™ X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro smartphones will be upgraded to run on the Android 2.1 operating system in selected markets. The Xperia™ X10’s position as the best multimedia Android smartphone will be strengthened through the addition of HD video recording as part of the same Q3 upgrade. A further upgrade to the Xperia™ X10 in Q4 will make it possible to connect wirelessly to and display content on your television and enhance the Timescape™ and Mediascape applications.
Xperia™ smartphones add best-in-class entertainment on top of smartphone fundamentals such as applications (apps), maps, email and fast internet connection to create the most entertaining smartphones. The Xperia™ X10 is the flagship of the Xperia™ collection and has an 8.1 megapixel camera and 4-inch screen for best in class multimedia creation and viewing. Signature applications such as Mediascape and Timescape™ help you to organise content and bring your multimedia and communication alive.
In addition to features and applications, design is essential to the entertainment experience. Sony Ericsson’s human curvature design philosophy is applied across the portfolio to package the technology into products that look and feel great. Using design innovation, Sony Ericsson makes the Xperia™ smartphones available with a choice of size and style.
Steve Walker, Head of Product Marketing at Sony Ericsson, commented, “Sony Ericsson’s vision is to be the communication entertainment brand. We are focusing strongly on the smartphone market and specifically on creating the most entertaining smartphones. Sony Ericsson is uniquely positioned to do this thanks to our experience in creating Walkman and Cybershot phones and the strong collaboration with our parent company Sony.”
Today Sony Ericsson announces the Xperia™ X8, which will build on the success of the X10 and the mini products and extend the most entertaining smartphones collection to an even broader audience.
Introducing the Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X8
The Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X8 is a great entertainment smartphone that extends the appeal of the Xperia™ collection to new market segments. The user interface is similar to that of the Xperia™ X10 mini, with the four-corners that give easy one hand use and can be customised for one touch access to your favourite applications. The Xperia™ X8 also includes Timescape™ for easy access to all your social networking and the infinite button for one click access to a world of content. The open Android operating system delivers great smartphone functionality and access to thousands of applications on Android Market™. Timo Maassmann, Product Marketing Manager for XperiaTM X8, said, “We are delighted to be able to bring the full experience of our XperiaTM smartphones to new consumers by delivering a fully featured device at a more accessible price point.”
The Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X8 is perfect for enjoying multimedia entertainment. Whether it’s a game from the Android Market™, the latest funny clips on YouTube™ or browsing the web, the 3-inch screen means you won’t miss a thing. Discover and download songs from PlayNow™, then listen to all your music using the 3.5mm headphone jack. If you are feeling more creative, there’s a 3.2 MP camera and video recording functionality.
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X8 – Key features
- Four corners for easy one hand use and one touch access to applications
- Customise the four corners with your favourite apps and add widgets to your homescreens
- Enjoy games, video, internet and more on the 3-inch screen
- Timescape™ shows all your communication in one place for ultimate simplicity
- Android Market™ – thousands of applications to keep you entertained
- 3.2 MP camera – snap away and upload instantly to Facebook™
The XPERIA™ X8 supports GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS HSPA 900/2100 and UMTS HSPA 800/850/1900/2100
The XPERIA™ X8 will be available in selected markets from Q3 in the colours White, Dark Blue/ White, Aqua Blue/ White, Pink/ White, Silver/ White.
Log on to The Sony Ericsson Product Blog for more information: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products
The Sony Ericsson XPERIA™ X8 at a glance
- 3,2 megapixel camera
- Direct picture upload to Facebook™
- Geo tagging
- Sony Ericsson Album application
- Video recording
- Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
- Sony Ericsson Music Player
- Pan and zoom
- WebKit web browser
- Facebook™ application
- Sony Ericsson Timescape™
- Push email
- Instant messaging
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® support with Dataviz™ RoadSync™
- Picture messaging (MMS)
- Predictive text input
- Text messaging (SMS)
- Auto rotate
- Picture wallpaper
- Capacitive touchscreen
- Infinite button
- Sony Ericsson FM radio
- Video streaming
- Video viewing
- Flight mode
- Phone book with dialer
- Sony Ericsson Home with Widget
- Google Maps™
- Wisepilot™ turn-by-turn navigation* (free trial version)
- *The service may not be available in every market. For more information, go to www.sonyericsson.wisepilot.com
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- Bluetooth™ technology
- Micro USB connector
- NeoReader® barcode scanning app
- Sony Ericsson Sync
- USB mass storage
- USB support
- Android Market™ Client
- Google Calendar™
- Google LatitudeTM
- Google Maps™ with Street View
- Google search widget
- Google Talk™
- 16,777,216 colour TFT touchscreen
- Capacitive touchscreen
- 3.0 inches
- 320 x 480 pixels (HVGA)
- Scratch-resistant (min. pencil hardness 6H)
- XPERIA™ X8
- Battery 1200mAh
- Stereo portable handsfree
- 2 GB microSD™ card
- Micro USB cable for charging, synchronisation and file transfer
- User documentation
- Hi-Fi Wireless Headset with FM Radio MW600
- Portable Stereo Speakers MS450
- Hi-Fi Headset with Remote MH810
- Size: 99 x 54 x 15 mm
- Weight: 104g
- Phone memory: Up to 128 MB
- Memory card support: microSD™ up to 16GB
- Memory card included: 2 GB
- Operating system: Google™ Android Donut, version 1.6
- Processor: 600MHz
Availability and versions
- UMTS HSPA 900/2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- UMTS HSPA 800/1900/2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- Available in selected markets from Q3 2010
- Dark Blue/White
- Aqua Blue/White
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant.
2) Operational times are affected by network
preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.
© Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, 2010
The Liquid Identity logo, Xperia, PlayNow and TrackID are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson. Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: www.sonyericsson.com/cws/common/legal/disclaimer.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, SE-221 88 Lund, Sweden.
Printed in January 2010, R1A
Sony Ericsson is a 50/50 joint venture by Sony and Ericsson established in October 2001, with global corporate functions located in London and operations in major markets around the world. Sony Ericsson’s strategy is to become the industry leader in mobile Communication Entertainment, through new styles of interaction across the internet and social media. Sony Ericsson offers exciting consumer experiences through innovative and feature rich phones, accessories, content and applications. For more information, please see: www.sonyericsson.com/press.
For media information please contact:
Sony Mobile Communications, Global Communications & PR department
General Press: +44 208 762 5858